Group Social Skills Training-Adolescents (Ages 14-17)
NCMA’s Dover, NH location is now offering a Social Skills Group class for adolescents based on the evidence-based PEERS (The Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) model.
- Dr. Bomil and Jamie Evans, MA are co-leaders for this 16-week social skills group meeting Tuesday afternoons from 4:30-6:00pm.
- This group is best suited for adolescents between the ages of 12 and 17 years old who have difficulties with socialization.
- If your child is nonverbal, verbally or physically aggressive, below a 6th grade academic level, or if you feel they would not participate, this is not a well-suited group for them.
- The group outline consists of a 60-minute initial intake interview with the child and parent prior to admission to group. This interview is designed to help build rapport with the co-leaders, discuss current social deficits, set goals, and review group information (schedule, welcome packet, initial questionnaires). This is also a time for you and your child to decide if this group is something you would like to pursue. If this program is determined to be a good fit, your child will be enrolled in the 16-week program.
- There are 3 parent-only sessions built into the calendar with the co-leaders to discuss group progress, learn more about factors that contribute to social deficits, and review any questions.
Week 1: Introduction and Conversation Skills I: Trading Information
Week 2: Conversational Skills II: Two-Way Conversations
Week 3: Electronic Conversations
Week 4: Parent-only session
Week 5: Choosing Appropriate Friends
Week 6: Appropriate Use of Humor
Week 7: Peer Entry 1: Entering a Conversation
Week 8: Peer Entry 2: Exiting a Conversation
Week 9: Parent-only session
Week 10: Get-Togethers
Week 11: Rejection I: Teasing
Week 12: Rejection II: Bullying and bad reputations
Week 13: Handling Disagreements
Week 14: Parent-only session
Week 15: Rumors and Gossip
Week 16: Graduation (Parent & Teen)
How to enroll
If you are interested in your child joining, please call (207) 594-2952 or email us securely to discuss billing and set up your initial phone interview. After the phone triage, the initial intake interview will be scheduled.